Skip to Primary Content

Southwest Vet

Pets We Serve

Surgery Services

We use only the safest anesthetic protocols available. This means choosing the drugs that are safest for your pet, administering intravenous fluids throughout the procedure to help filter and protect internal organs, and vital signs monitoring through advanced monitoring equipment. The result is a standard of care much like what people receive at quality human hospitals.

Travel Certificate Services

Health certificates are legal documents that permit animals to move across state lines (as required by the USDA) or to enter another country legally. The main reason for these certificates is to ensure that contagious and infectious diseases do not spread to other areas of the world.

For some countries and states, this may only require a current physical exam by your pet’s Veterinarian, along with proof of rabies vaccination. However, other states may require extensive and time-consuming blood tests, microchipping, and medications.

Travel/Health Certificates FAQs

What are the requirements to travel to different Countries?

Every country is different, for more information on each countries requirements click here to visit the USDA's website, then select the country you will be traveling to.

If there are required tests, you will need to schedule an appointment with one of our accredited veterinarians to determine the proper tests and timeline. The fees incurred for these additional visits are not part of the fee for issuing the international health certificate. A written estimate will be provided upon request during the first appointment if you so choose.

Because these are legal documents to ensure health, the pet must be physically examined at the time a health certificate is issued, even if the pet was seen by our office recently. This is a USDA requirement.

What are the requirements to travel to different States?

Every state has their own unique set of requirements for traveling into or through their state.

Click here to check out this helpful chart to help you determine what you need in order to travel between state lines.

What do Airlines require for my pet to fly?

Depending on the airline, you will want to research their individual set of rules and regulations they have in place as the standard for transporting your pet. Some airlines allow small pets to travel in the cabin with you as your carry-on item while others require pets to travel in the cargo area below.

Airlines can have additional fees ranging anywhere from $0 to over $500 and some only allow a set number of animals per flight. Make sure the flight you want to book will have a spot open for you and your furry friend.

To help you prepare, Bring Fido is a website that discusses all things travel for your pet. For airline policies, click here and then select which airline you will be booking your travel arrangements through. They have in-depth information about the different airline requirements and direct contact information for each airline.

Once you've looked over the information, you will want to contact the airline's concierge to confirm you have everything you need to follow their rules for flying. Airlines often change their policies or procedures for transporting a pet with little or no notice to the pet owners, that's why we recommend always calling the airline concierge before arriving at the airport.

What are pet relocation services and what do they do?

Many people are now frequently choosing to turn to pet relocation services to help them navigate the difficult process of moving or traveling with their pets.

Pet relocations companies can help you with advice/tips and create a "move coordination plan", they can pick up or drop off your pet anywhere, help you select the proper crate for traveling based on requirements, get your pet checked in at the airport, and help you facilitate all the vet appointments, quarantines, permits, all other legal documentation, book travel arrangements, and more.

We are available to work with any pet relocation company you may choose. In the past, we have worked with PetRelocation. They are an Austin-based company that clients have used with great success.

What do I do once I get the Health Certificate?

After issuance of an international health certificate, also known as APHIS form 7001, the certificate, and any required documents must be signed by the state veterinarian as well. 

They are located downtown, and their contact info follows: USDA Texas State Veterinarian Office Veterinary Services

Dr. Kevin Varner

APHIS Area Veterinarian-In-Charge

903 San Jacinto Blvd., Room 220

Austin, Texas 78701-2450

Phone: (512) 383-2400

FAX: (512) 916-5197

Email[email protected]